Jonathan goes KOM hunting with one of the best mountain bikers in the USA, why your pacing plan for CX is wrong, why your power and heart rate zones don’t match and much more in Episode 186 of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast.
More show notes and discussion in the TrainerRoad Forum.
Topics covered in this episode
- How to avoid illness as a cyclist
- TrainerRoad’s new Calendar and Analytics features
- How to steal a KOM
- How KOM hunting can make you faster
- How to train with a newborn
- Why cyclocross isn’t a natural fit for sprinters
- How to refine a nutrition strategy
- Should you pay attention to breathing rate?
- Why warmups are crucial for cycling
- Why does heart rate rise when power is consistent?
- When should you not carry two bottles?
- Why intervals are always a better idea than junk miles
Links Mentioned in this episode
- Nate’s Forum post on illness
- Jonathan’s forum post on knee injury exercises
- Stans / Pivot Pro Team’s Keegan Swenson
- Jonathan’s training rides with Keegan (1)
- Jonathan’s training rides with Keegan (2)
- Jonathan’s training rides with Keegan (3)
- Nate’s KOM segment
- List of upcoming features for TrainerRoad’s Calendar
- UCI CX Race
- How to Prioritize Races and Build a Seasonal Race Plan
- 5 Questions to Plan Your Perfect Season
- TrainerRoad Kits
- Pre-Race Warmups
- Why you don’t need to replicate your race’s distance in training
- Learn more about TrainerRoad
For more cycling training knowledge, listen to the Ask a Cycling Coach — the only podcast dedicated to making you a faster cyclist. New episodes are released weekly.
Share this Post
Train Smart, Get Fast.
Learn how to become a faster cyclist. Sign up now to receive six emails with free cycling advice from Chad Timmerman, a USA Level I certified cycling coach.