We took your questions and suggestions to build a guide to bike racing for beginners with information and tops that can help even the most experienced of racers.
Topics covered in this episode
- Nutrition, pacing and equipment strategies for Tahoe Trail 100
- How to get into bike racing
- Which type of bike racing is best for beginners?
- How to find a group to ride with?
- How fast should you be before signing up for a bike race?
- Why bike skill is more important than fitness for new racers
- How to save energy in a race
- What category should you race?
- Should new racers compete in Elite and Masters categories?
- How to upgrade categories in USAC
- Why ketosis isn’t a practical solution for cycling
- Drills to make you a faster sprinter
- A pre-race checklist for new racers
- How to find a nearby bike race
- Should new bike racers get a one-day or annual USAC license?
- Pre-race nutrition for bike racers
- The first thing you need to do when you arrive at a bike race
- Should you warmup before a bike race?
- Should you carry spares and tools during a bike race?
- What tire pressure is best for road racing
- Why lubing your chain before you ride is a bad idea
- Do you need to warm up on the trainer before a race?
- What it means to “hold your line”
- How close do you have to ride to people in a pack?
- How to know when you are in the draft
- How long should you pull during a bike race?
- Why racing in the rain isn’t that scary
- Should you just sit in during your first bike race?
- Why getting dropped in a bike race is not a failure
- How to know when you should upgrade categories
- Tips for racing in a small field
- Which type of mountain bike race is best for beginners
- What are the rules for passing in mountain biking?
- What bike is best for beginner mountain bikers?
- What category should you race when transferring disciplines?
- Why you should never look back when you hear a crash
- How to pin your number like a pro
- Do heavy riders need to train differently than light riders?
- Should beginner riders use flat pedals or clips?
For more cycling training knowledge, listen to the Ask a Cycling Coach — the only podcast dedicated to making you a faster cyclist. New episodes are released weekly.
Share this Post
Train Smart, Get Fast.
Learn how to become a faster cyclist. Sign up now to receive six emails with free cycling advice from Chad Timmerman, a USA Level I certified cycling coach.